Ask Your Question

Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version

After everything is working, I will add a more detailed answer on what was causing issues and how I fixed most of them:

Basically, what I did was checking my moveit_config and moveit_source packages from scratch. After measuring my real robot I noticed that my robot was sitting about 3,5 cm lower in my URDF than the real one. I tried two things:

  • Changing move_group.setPoseReferenceFrame("base_link") to "robot_base", as my robot is sitting on a mobile platform. It did the trick but I rather considered this to be a dirty workaround
  • Rearranging my URDF and XACRO properly with a new base-mesh as well as running the moveit-setup-assistant as described in the tutorials (https://docs.ros.org/kinetic/api/moveit_tutorials/html/doc/setup_assistant/setup_assistant_tutorial.html) on my config package in order to update my SRDF. I also renamed the joints to their original names.

After everything is working, I will add a more detailed answer on what was causing issues and how I fixed most of them:

Basically, what I did was checking my moveit_config and moveit_source packages from scratch. After measuring my real robot I noticed that my robot was sitting about 3,5 cm lower in my URDF than the real one. I tried two things:

  • Changing move_group.setPoseReferenceFrame("base_link") to "robot_base", as my robot is sitting on a mobile platform. It did the trick but I rather considered this to be a dirty workaround
  • Rearranging my URDF and XACRO properly with a new base-mesh as well as running the moveit-setup-assistant as described in the tutorials (https://docs.ros.org/kinetic/api/moveit_tutorials/html/doc/setup_assistant/setup_assistant_tutorial.html) on my config package in order to update my SRDF. I also renamed the joints to their original names.

Short version: Working with absolute coordinates in cartesian space is not working when you interact with Moveit! while your robot control has deviating positions